Thursday 9 August 2012

Fruits Of My Labours


In Spring all our fruit trees were covered in blossom, apples, pears, plums, peaches and gages and we were eagerly anticipating a bumper crop. The fruit formed and then for some reason it all fell off, it wasn't the "June Drop" it was just a total avalanche.  So now we are left with one  lovely pear, about a dozen plums,  half a dozen Cox's, Bramley's and Gages, what a joke but it's hard to be amused. My peaches are grown against a south facing wall and those that were left grew huge but when they were picked many were rotten on the back (the wall side),  probably due to all the rain.  On the bright side there were plentiful redcurrants and enough gooseberries to make some chutney and at the moment the raspberries are beginning to ripen up.  I am left wondering if other parts of the country have suffered as I have or perhaps it was just this area or even just my garden, hopefully time will tell.
This peach is Avalon Pride and does not succumb to peach leaf curl, the fruit is sweet and full of juice.

I love to just stand and look at red currants, they are perfectly round and look like clusters of shining rubies.


On a happier note the grape vines have really benefitted from all the rain, so now we just need some sunshine to ripen them and then we just need to stop the birds from getting there first.  Perhaps I won't start designing wine bottle labels just yet.




7 comments:

  1. Hello again Jeanne
    Just to let you know I have made a start in case you would like to have a look. My blog is at
    davidsgardendiary.wordpress.com
    Maybe you could leave a comment to let me know it works!
    Regards
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David
      I have visited your blog and love it - have signed up for email reminders. Are you a fly fisher because both David (my husband) and I are - just curious.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jeanne
      Yes, I have been a fly fisherman longer than I have been a gardener! I started when I was very young and came back to it when the kids left home and I had more time and some spare money (at last!). Mostly stillwater trout but sometimes river fishing when I want a treat. We have some good Grayling fishing on the Coln and the Windrush. I have been a syndicate member of private lakes in the past but I found the commitment too much and also found golf! I try to major on the garden because that won't wait, flyfish from April to September with a bit of golf in July and August when the garden is quietest.
      How about you?

      Delete
    3. Hi David
      Seems we have something else in common. We belong to a small private fishery which is only 10 minutes from our house, which is stocked with mainly rainbow but some brownies, We also have a timeshare on the Nith in Dumfriesshire and are due to go in a couple of weeks. David is far more experienced than me and has caught 24 lb salmon in the past but I enjoy what I do and love the spectacular scenery everywhere we fish. My dream is to catch a salmon however small but I don't think I am really that dedicated, I have to concede David is the best fisherman and I like to think I am the best gardener.

      Delete
    4. How wonderful to have your fishing 10 minutes away, I have to factor in the travelling time as well which often puts me off going to many fisheries for the evening rise. We also have a timeshare in Scotland! Ours is at Loch Rannoch in Perthshire 3rd week in September. The wild brownies are small but feisty! The Tummel is a beautiful river, a gorgeous clean peaty brown colour.
      Thanks for your comments so far. I want to subscribe to your blog but when I click the button, the page briefly appears but won't hold. I will keep trying.
      Best wishes
      David

      Delete
  2. Hi Jeanne
    I don't think you got my first comment yesterday because I didn't press the right button. Complicated these blogs! Anyway, I just wanted to say I got your blog address from the CGS magazine and thought I would take a look as I was thinking of doing the same thing. Your blog prompted me to start mine yesterday as you now know!
    Thanks for the comments, I know it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeanne

    I too read your appeal in the CGS magazine, so thought I'd check you out. I do two blogs, one for the Don Gorge Community Group of which I'm secretary, and a more personal one of my own. I haven't put anything on about the garden so far, but might just do so now.

    With reference to the fruit, we have a peach tree, which two years ago produced about 30 beautiful peaches. I don't know the variety, but the flesh was very white and very tasty. However, last year, all the fruit fell off before swelling and ripening and this year no fruit set at all. It also suffers from leaf curl - my husband forgot (!) to treat it he says. So, we are thinking of taking it out as we only have a small garden and can't waste the space. We also have two blueberries in pots, one of which is not fruiting at all this year. I think we must have pruned it wrongly in some way. You can tell we're not very good at producing fruit. However, despite it's small size, we have a lovely cottage garden, full of plants, which last year won us a Gold medal in Doncaster in Bloom's Environmental Section.

    If, like one or two others, you could let me know you've received this, I'd be grateful. My blogs can be found under dongorgecommunitygroup.blogspot.com and lizreeveswritings.blogspot.com.

    Thanks a lot.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete